Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Missing Leaf


I recently discovered the Market Manila site and I seriously recommend this to anyone who has lamented over the lack of ingredients available in our local supermarkets. In this site, I've discovered fellow foodies in search for the missing ingredient to make their home cooked dishes taste oh so much better. 

Take, for example, the kaffir lime. I cannot say the words without a smile flitting across my face. For David and me, it is like the holy grail of Thai cuisine.

A few years ago, we loaded 6 lbs. (yes SIX POUNDS) of assorted curry pastes and dried kaffir lime leaves onto our carry on bags coming home from Thailand. We were very fortunate that no one took an interest in our stash and confiscated them. I would have put up a fight, let me tell you.

But despite the dried kaffir lime leaves, our Thai dishes were still missing that oomph that we longed for. Dried just wasn't enough.

Then one day, sometime in June, we chanced upon a lone kaffir lime plant in Tiendesitas. We looked at it in hushed reverence. As David rubbed the leaf to take a whiff, we almost could not believe our good fortune. We rushed home with the plant, rustled up some Thai red curry and closed our eyes in delight as the missing pieces of the puzzle (or in this case, missing ingredient) fell into place.

And now, thanks to Market Manila, I've hooked up with some fellow kaffir lime enthusiasts who can sell us both the plants and the fruit. It's still not easy, but there are plants to be had. And since the leaves sell for about P10-15 each, having a plant is a smart move.

For those of you who have not heard about kaffir lime, it is the ingredient that adds an unmistakable refreshing taste that is characteristic of many Thai soups and curries.  The leaves have a strong, fragrant flavor that cannot be replicated easily. Without the kaffir lime leaves, your tom yum soup or red or green thai curry will not be the same.

So, if you're into spicy food, let me know. I've just about perfected my Thai curry.


No comments: