Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The American President

We recently got Charly a children's book on famous American Presidents.

I realize that at three years of age, she is a tad too young to fully understand what it means to be a president, much less the American President. But as I watch this historic Inauguration live, it hits me that when it does, Charly will come into that knowledge with President Obama in office.

And while our generation can appreciate what a big step it is to have the first African-American U.S. president, Charly's generation will wake up with one already in office.

And for them, it won't be such a big deal because the Obama years will be all they'll know when they are old enough to be discussing the American President in school.

I think about it and realize that that's a really, really good thing.

And I'm so glad that though Charly was born during the Bush years, the Obama administration is the first one that she will truly experience.

No comments: