Monday, June 30, 2008

My Baby likes Rock

They say Mozart is brain food for babies. Dutifully, the hubby and I loaded up her iPod with everything Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi...till even I was getting classical overload.

But now that she's requesting for songs on demand (thank you to iPod for the repeat play function!), she is asking for John Mayer, Billy Joel, and Bob Marley. Sometimes old-school rap. Miles Davis is her favorite going-to-sleep music (yes, she knows her jazz). She's developed a liking for Elton John ever since she saw him banging on the keyboards with Kermit and the gang in an old Muppet Show episode. And although I've played the Blue Danube more than Bennie & the Jets, guess which song she requests by name.

Yes, just like most kids she loves the gang from Hi-Five and Barney songs but it warms my heart (and my ears) to know she's got an ear for good music too.

Maybe Mozart wired her brain early on to make that distinction. Thank God she doesn't like those songs they play on Pinoy noontime shows. I would rather hear Bennie & The Jets for the nth time than have my baby requesting for yet another round of the Papaya Song. I would rather see her bobbing her little head to Chaka Khan (yes, she's loved "I'm Every Woman" since catching me watching "Bridget Jones's Diary") than breaking into inane dance moves after hearing the Ocho-Ocho.

Thanks, Mozart.

No comments: