Saturday, August 2, 2008

Fish Spa?!

While in Singapore last year, I saw fish in an outdoor tank and some women dipping their hands in it. Because I was in a rush, I didn't even realize it was what is now known as a 'fish spa'.

I do remember thinking, those poor fish. Since the hubby is a fish lover, I know that fish can be highly sensitive and unnecessary shaking around of their environment can cause stress ( anyone remember "Finding Nemo"?).

Little did I know that those women were literally feeding the fish out of their own hands (well, the skin off their hands anyway).

And I thought I'd seen it all. Apparently these are doctor fish, types of fish that eat off the dead skin and leave your hands and feet (I certainly hope that's all the skin they are targetting) nice and smooth. If you don't know what I mean by now, google it.

While I admit to some curiosity about 'fish spas', I'm not sure I want a living thing eating away at any part of me (dead skin or not). Doesn't that sound a bit like what piranhas do? I know the fish are supposed to want to eat only the flaking, dead skin, but what if one of them decides they like it a little too much and decide to not just stop at the appetizer but go for the full meal?

On a more rational level, wouldn't scouring dead skin, calluses, etc have the same effect? Why have fish do what a few scrapes of Dr. Scholl's filing block can do for you? Isn't that supposed to be bad and encourage more growth of calluses?

What people will do to make a new spin on an old trick. Or more to the point, what some people will be willing to experiment on for the sake of beauty.

No comments: