Friday, August 22, 2008

'Pasalubong'



The ubiquitous Baguio Walis.

Can anyone tell me why they remain to be the most hardy and effective of all? Do the Baguio folk put some secret material in them? Anyone? Because to this day whenever I go up to Baguio, without fail, someone asks for these brooms as 'pasalubong'.

David, being American, had to be educated on the concept of 'pasalubong' - the sweet, but mostly bothersome, Pinoy tradition of bringing a little something for everyone in the home or office when coming back from an out of country or out of town trip. He is still trying to come to terms (or should I say, grips) with it. I see his point though. Especially in the case of the aforementioned brooms. I'm pretty sure in most Western cultures, the idea of someone bringing back a broom as a present from a relative coming in from out of town would be considered odd. I mean, snowglobes, yes. Mugs and t-shirts too. And those stickers that clutter up your fridge.

But brooms?

Only in the Philippines.

No comments: