Friday, August 15, 2008

My Entourage

When I was single and used to wake up in the middle of the night - sometimes peckish for a midnight snack, other times just because I couldn't go back to sleep - I would often feel spooked at being alone in the dark.

These days, it doesn't happen anymore.

When I stand up and head for the bathroom or kitchen in the middle of the night, I usually hear Pepe and Riggs shuffling and shifting. Pepe follows me wherever I am headed. Riggs keeps an eye open so he doesn't miss anything. Most times, I have not even finished making the midnight peanut butter and jelly sandwich and I see Charly's little head pop out of the room, calling me "Mom, please come back".

I settle back into bed and sometimes find my whole troop awake, including the hubby.

Sometimes, we all fall back to sleep right away. And sometimes, it turns into an impromptu little family gathering.

Come to think of it, I haven't felt spooked in a long time.

Aah. The little blessings of having your own family.

No comments: