Wednesday, August 20, 2008

i heart lomo


I love Lomo cameras.

Yes, they are just about the biggest marketing gimmick on earth (major snaps to the lomographic society for that). But in my opinion, anything that brings film photography back to life is a good thing. Call it a marketer's karma, but I've fallen head over heels, hook, line, and sinker, absolutely in love with these little plastic lo-fi wonders!

In this age of digital cameras where just about anything can be re-touched and edited with the push of a button, these lomo cameras are refreshingly unpredictable. And incredibly human.

Just like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you literally never know what you're gonna get when you pick up your pictures from the film lab.

It's liberating, in a way. You can just shoot, shoot, and shoot. Without seeing the images right away the way you would with a digital camera, you feel freer to swing around and shoot away. Little accidents like double exposures show life as you're living it.

The cameras may be clunky and I may get funny looks when I whip out my Fisheye2 or Holga or the funny little Oktomat that doesn't even have a proper viewfinder and operates without batteries, but they take quirky photos that remind me of a time gone by.

And I really do like it that way.

No comments: